Friday, November 7, 2008

Totally useless...

That's how I felt today at Midas. I took in the truck because I thought there was something wrong with the front breaks. Same something I thought was wrong before the Disney vacation, but worried would drain us of the money put aside for the trip. The break made a grind/squeak and had a "sticky, spongy" feel when applied, it went away though and I attributed it to the rain we had that day. Well it came back yesterday so I took it in.

I told them about the feeling, and was looked at like I had just cut a fart. I guess my complete and total inability to speak "car" showed. I left after being told I would get a call in about an hour. Now I have had nothing but bad luck from mechanics, they sense that I am unable to see through their bs. But Mr D and John both had good things to say about this Midas so I took a chance.

They called me within the hour and told me nothing was wrong with the front brakes. :)
It was the back ones that were totally F****d. So much so that one had to be completely replaced. They were also going to do an oil change and said it might be ready by 1. It wasn't cheap but this would be the 3rd vehicle with brake work done and it sounded about right. I was shocked when they called to let me know it was ready at 11:30.

Now here is the part where I felt useless, since I know nothing about cars. I get there and before I pay the mechanic takes me into the back to show me the damaged drum. First, I have no idea what a drum for a '99 Rodeo looks like, or any other car for that matter. He could have held up a snare drum and I would have been like "Ahh, I see the problem, it is damaged." Anyways he showed me a drum with damage, which truth be told I couldn't tell where since I didn't have a undamaged drum to compare it with. I nodded said uh-huh, thanks, and see ya later.

I wrote the check and left with my new drum...all that said, I was impressed with the Midas on Rufe Snow in NRH. They were fast, easy to deal with, and even tried to explain to me, the moron, what was done.

No comments: