Saturday, January 17, 2009

Championship game - AFC

Baltimore vs Pittsburg

Let me begin with I hate Pittsburg. Not the city, but the team...no actually the fans of the team. They get under my skin and although they might be nice people I find their smug "we deserve it" attitudes drive me crazy. I think since I've suffered for so long as a 49er fan, I no longer have that attitude. This must be what it's like to be a Cubs Fan. Anyway, that said...who likes the Ravens? No one but the city of Baltimore cares to see the Ravens do a darn thing.

So give me the Ravens. I pick them for a handful of reasons. First they are a division opponent of the Steelers, meaning they've played twice this year(every team plays the other teams in their divisions twice a season). Guess who won those 2 games...that's right Pittsburg. They were both smashmouth, physical games and the second one was won with a questionable touchdown being rewarded to the Steelers. It is very hard to beat a team 3 times in a season. In fact, I am going to say it has only happened once...Tennessee did it to Jacksonville in 1999 on their way to the Super Bowl. If you know of another please post in comments. Fun fact, Jacksonville only lost 3 games that whole season...

The Ravens bring pressure better than any team in the NFL. Their defense is one of the most amazing things to watch and have gotten them this far with a rookie Quarterback and a no name group of running backs...yes I know McGahee is a well know player but he is a shadow of his former self and is at best their #3 guy. That defense is the best at rattling Pittsburg's Quarterback, Big Ben Roethlisberger.

Lastly, Ravens feel like a team of destiny. Their star linebacker Ray Lewis seems to be willing this team to the Super Bowl. If they go, it will be with a rookie Head Coach and a rookie Quarterback.

No comments: